Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hair Today ... Gone Tomorrow



My doctor and nurses have assured me that my hair is going to fall out. Slowly at first, they say, then in handfuls and brushfuls and chunks. Sounds nice, doesn't it? In fact, my infusion nurse calls Adriamycin the "automatic hair removal system." They said it starts about two weeks after your first treatment, so tomorrow could be the beginning, and if not tomorrow, surely it will be shortly thereafter.

So the last time I had George do my hair, I had him put in extra-long extensions so I could really live it up, Marcia Brady style, for my last few weeks with locks. Some people have suggested I cut it short now so I can get used to it, but I like my long hair, and I'm going to enjoy it as long as I can.

George took me wig shopping. It was depressing. But I bought a wig anyway and also a really cool sort of wig that will attach inside a hat. I also ordered some scarves and, frankly, I think they're much better looking than a wig.

I've been pretty concerned about the stigma of having cancer, and I haven't been sure I wanted people looking at me and thinking, "Cancer patient!" or "Chemo girl!" Truly, though, I'm not sure I care. I know cancer scares people, but it's what I've got, and I have to put up with it for a while, too. Surely, I shouldn't have to wear a hot, ugly wig, too, should I? If I don't want to?

But we'll see. Will I be brave enough to post a bald picture? Well, now, I just don't know about that. Courtney did, but she is gorgeous. I'm afraid I'll look like Gollum.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

Kristy, You look absolutely beautiful! You just shine from the inside. So while you might "shine" up on top for while it will never out shine your true beauty! Stay positive and keep kicking cancer's butt! Big hugs from Texas! The Flynn's Courtney, Todd and Kids

Anne Marie said...

I saw the link for this blog on the side of your regular one. So glad you're sharing your experiences with cancer. First of all, I think you are absolutely amazing. I love your attitude. You are one of the strongest women I have known. And, you look radiant and beautiful in these pictures.

Melissa said...

I love the pictures. If you have to waste time in between appointments, at least you get to do something you love, something that is you, something that having cancer can't take away from you. Fight hard. You are in our prayers.

Brent Hall said...

I love the ever present vodka bottle on the counter behind you and George. That George sure can put it away.

Alyson said...

You look beautiful with your long locks and blue shirt and blue eyes. It would be impossible for gollum to replace all that!

Jennifer said...

Gollum....what about our best friends Demi Moore and Natalie Portman without their hair? I think you look more like them.

Kristy said...

Hmm! I forgot about Natalie Portman!

My Many Coloured Days said...

Gorgeous gorgeous. With your smile and strength, you will always be.

Leisha Mareth said...

Do you know that when I was little I despised being a fair-skinned redhead? I found an old 60's wig (think Marcia's Mom...) at a garage sale (gross) and I would put it on, color my blonde eyebrows black with my mother's mascara and prance around the neighborhood, thinking no one would notice the strange little albino girl in a nappy wig and witch-like eyebrows.

In other words, wigs are cool. I've always thought so. Go pink. No one will think "cancer girl" they will think "rocker girl".

P.S. I LOVE the extensions. Brilliant idea. I think George was a little gift from God. He knew what was coming and really set you up with someone fab.