Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mail Call

This is what my mail looks like these days:

I got all of these medical bills in one day last week, and I received several more each day after. I am very, very fortunate to have good medical insurance the covers the majority of my costs, but even so, it's not cheap to have cancer.

But I don't seem to feel overwhelmed by keeping track of the bills; rather, each time I open them and pay them or follow up with the insurance company or the finance guy at Huntsman, I am brought back to the same thought: what do people do who cannot afford medical insurance? Do they simply go into debt? Do they delay or ignore treatment? Are they denied treatment? Do they have to go to an inferior treatment facility?

The other group that keeps coming to mind is the elderly. It is so difficult to deal with the physical and emotional toll of cancer, so how do weakened, older people navigate a pile of bills like this? How do they find the strength to call and fight with Medicare or the hospital? And remember to eat right and take their medication on schedule?

Do you have answers for me?

5 comments:

lisa eckersley said...

Of course I don't have any answers about how people handle it--but I love to see your grateful, humble attitude. I guess others do like you do, and take it one day at a time, and do the best they can.
Our family prayers continue to include you and your boys.

Camie said...

Kristy--
I know exactly what you mean!! When we were dealing with Clayton's multiple procedures, medications, special diet, constant appointments etc. etc. I kept wondering how anybody without education or a supportive family or good health insurance could ever do it. And I think the answer is that you and I are blessed with the education to be able to understand what doctors are telling us, with the motivation or self control to follow what they tell us. And I think this will definitely improve both the process and the outcome. I ended up feeling really blessed for the capacity I had that would not take away what I was going through, but would at least help me deal with all of it better. You are in my daily prayers, my friend.

Jennifer said...

Bills Schmills.....so depressing how expensive it is to get sick huh?
It does make you stop to think about what people who do not have insurance do.

Alyson said...

I am so glad you have started your cancer blog. Now I can know how you are doing a little more often. Like the legion of loved ones you have out there, I think of you all the time and hope that you are not feeling too yucky day by day.

Kathy said...

I too am grateful you started this blog, as I've thought about you a bunch of times and wondered how you are and what is happening with your cancer. I always hesitated to call because of there being so many you have to keep updated. This is great! You really do have a positive outlook and that is awesome that you can see the blessings through the hard times! Let me know if you ever feel up to getting together.