Sunday, September 07, 2008

Home Away From Home

I have been spending a whole bunch of time at the Huntsman Cancer Institute lately. It is a truly remarkable place and I feel so very fortunate to have such terrific health care resources available to me just 20 minutes away from my home. There are many patients who travel much farther than I to receive treatment here, including some from Alaska!



In addition to having the finest resources around to treat cancer, the Huntsman Institute is also a beautiful building. I always feel comfortable and well-cared for there, and I really love the fact that it doesn't feel like a hospital at all. Well, the infusion room kind of does, but not so much. I'll take pictures there next time. The photo above is of the ceiling, and the photo below is the view of the Salt Lake Valley.
And this photo is the PET scan machine. It is my favorite scan to get (I had three MRI's last week. Hate 'em.), because it is quiet and quick. It is also sort of a scary one, because it can find cancer anywhere in your body. It is not very fun to wait for the results. Happily, I only have cancer in one small part of my body, so the PET scan is still my friend!


I often get bored while wandering around between appointments, so prepare yourself for more photos from Huntsman.

2 comments:

Brent Hall said...

It looks.... pretty. I'm glad it not all sterile and instuntional like alot of medical facilities.

Leisha Mareth said...

That ceiling is beautiful! Do you go alone? Maybe I missed it in catching up, but I hope you have people who are holding your hand now and then through all of this.